Re: [News] Wired: End-Time for the Internet (Due to Windows Problems)

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:49:40 +0000
<1580423.2aJomUM619@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 11 January 2007 20:37 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:09:23 +0000
>> <10093816.krrM5JuciM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> End-Time for the Internet
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.01/start.html?pg=15
>>>

>>> Related:
>>>
>>> FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS
>>>

> http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/feature-mobile-linux-why-it-will-become-the-dominant-mobile-os/2007-01-03
>>
>> iPods?  IPODS!  That reporter needs to know about the
>> many many fine benefits of Orange phones and Zunes! :-)
>> Next thing one knows he'll be using TiVo as a verb,
>> when he should be using "Ultimate TV" instead.  (Granted,
>> "I tivoed that wacky 70's show" works a little better in
>> contemporary English than any variant of "Ultimate TV"
>> I can come up with.  How does one conjugate the latter?)
>>
>> As for good, clean fun...well...let's just say there's
>> a few websites one wouldn't want to visit prior to one's
>> 18th or 19th birthday, or from within a Mormon church. :-)
>>
>> Some of them might offer malware as well as erotic enticements.
>> I'll admit I've not checked.
>
> Always run with JS disabled (easy to manage with NoScript for Firefox). It
> reduces (if not eliminates) the frequency of browser crashes, it makes
> browsing faster, improves security, privacy, etc.

Some pr0n sites will require Javascript.  I don't know what tricks
they're playing underneath.

> I might as well mention that I provide very odd strings in the HTTP headers.
> I'm one of those Linux users who don't support it by mock statistics. I hope
> people will soon realise that those Web stats are meaningless. One gauges
> Linux use of a subset of the Web at 0.6%, one at 3.6%... idiocy. Full rant
> here:
>
> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2007/01/08/the-true-market-share-of-linux/

Linux is a great stealth OS, and it's kinda sad that it has to be.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  It'll Fix Everything(tm).