Re: Microsoft confirmed National Security Agency's involvement

__/ [ pcutilisateur@xxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 11 January 2007 16:08 \__

> Note: This was the same case with Windows 95, and people who pointed it
> out were called foolish, and paranoid. Now, Microsoft, and NSA decided
> to reveal what everyone knew long time ago. My question is this, Do
> Linux distro "get involve" with NSA or just big bad guys. Also, I
> wonder how would Chinese, and Russian feel about buying an American
> spying operating system with their own money.

There are several questions to address here.

Firstly, yes, it's true. There are back doors. See the following:

Data Protection Commissioner criticizes search of private PCs online

,----[ Quote ]
| "In the case of a search via the Internet a police officer covertly,
| without the person knowing about it, accesses a person's computer."
| During such an operation he or she might copy data and obtain all
| kinds of personal documents; the police officer was acting as a "state
| hacker," so to speak. Mr. Schaar observed. "Such an approach is in
| conflict with the legal obligation to protect the core of
| individuals' privacy," Mr. Schaar stated emphatically.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82529/from/rss09

Also see:

Could Hollywood hack your PC?

,----[ Quote ]
| Congress is about to consider an entertainment industry proposal
| that would authorize copyright holders to disable PCs used for
| illicit file trading.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-945923.html

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/08/14/microsoft-us-spy/
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/03/04/vista-encrypted-filesystem/

Among more which I have kept track of. Some of this is used to track terror
suspect, but in a nation where it's now legal to open your mail, these
privileges (without a necessary warrent) can be misused. And they do.

Secondly, Linux distros get involved as well. Red Hat and SUSE (Novell) may
be 'infected', _BUT_ you have access to the source and the resultant
distributions are usually used by the NSA itself, not the public.

Have a look at some of the links above. The Chinese, Germany, and French have
already voiced complained. Here's another story.

Vista a 'threat' to the national security of India

,----[ Quote ]
| As Mr Bombay Watcher says on his blog, Microsoft has a cosy partnership
| with the CIA, so perhaps the world should take care and caution when it
| comes time to upgrade. We're pretty certain Windows 3.1 would be a safe
| bet. He seems particularly worried about the national security of India,
| as it does, of course, have some conflicting interests with the US
| of A.

It is naive, to say the very least, to assume that nobody wants full access
to our filesystem. The ordinary structure imposed by Microsoft (e.g. My
Documents) makes snooping even easier. I bet the NSA likes the new search
facilities with indexing. Crazy little heaven, for them. You may also wonder
about disk encryption. Well...

"UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of Windows
could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files.

Windows Vista is due to be rolled out later this year. Cambridge academic
Ross Anderson told MPs it would mean more computer files being encrypted."

General note: I've given up on proofreading, so apologies about all the typos
and grammar inconsistencies.

http://stuff.techwhack.com/archives/2007/01/11/national-security-agency-vista/

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    make install -not war
  5:00pm  up 85 days  3:14,  6 users,  load average: 1.36, 1.08, 0.91