Re: what it will take to get devices to support Linux

  • Subject: Re: what it will take to get devices to support Linux
  • From: Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:35:24 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> There was a good article on this topic on Mark Shuttleworth's blog:
>
> <http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/76>
>
> Here's a quote:
>
>    My own feeling here is that it¹s all about critical mass. Once 5-10%
>    of the people who buy these gadgets are running Linux (actually, a
>    single brand of Linux), only then will the gadget manufacturers
>    themselves start to care about it as a consumer platform for which
>    their stuff should work. That goes for everything from cell phones,
>    PDA¹s, and smart phones to some of the more weird and wonderful
>    things that people like to drive from a PC, like laser cutters and
>    3D printing machines. It¹s partly just a matter of time, but then
>    it¹s also partly a question of how we communicate the state of Linux
>    today (just like the issues in ³pervasive support² (challenge #9).

Someone else visited that page, too:

    Roy Schestowitz Says:
    January 10th, 2007 at 5:55 pm

    Manufacturers are fooled by the perception that there is no demand,
    due to Microsoft\u2019s OEM chokehold. I believe Mark (you) ought to
    conduct/sponsor a study which reveals the installed base of Linux
    worldwide and proves manufacturers that they are being
    'fed' false figures.

--
   Windows -- Microsoft's great gavage.