[News] Next-generation, High-end PCs... Running Linux, Of Course

Firms to Develop Linux Distro for High-End PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Themis Computer revealed on Thursday plans to join Terra Soft Solutions
| to develop a complete Linux distribution for Themis' TPPC64, a
| high-end computer built around a next-generation single-board
| computer, featuring an advanced 64-bit architecture and 90 nm
| silicon on insulator technology. The TPPC64 is designed to
| operate in harsh environments.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/55382.html

Other operating systems still struggle to climb up to 64-bit architectures.
Meanwhile, everything that is cutting-edge (including supercomputing) is
clearly dominated by GNU/Linux.

Related:

Microsoft Vista 64 bit is no go in 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Without an exception, they all think it's too early and the drivers
| won't be that polished for 64 bit either. AMD and Intel have CPUs which
| can support 64 operating systems but the drivers are still lame,
| unpolished and slow compared with 32 bit.

Windows XP 64 is crap and things break and printers dont work and
quickbooks doesnt work the list goes on

,----[ Quote ]
| Morale (sic) of the story is - if you are using Microsoft products, stay
| away from the cutting edge - it sucks pretty bad.
`----

http://www.pintmaster.com/20061212/windows-xp-64-is-crap-and-things-break-and-printers-dont-work-and-quickbooks-doesnt-work-the-list-goes-on/
http://tinyurl.com/yguyum

Support for Microsoft Windows XP x64 Not Worth Anything

,----[ Quote ]
| Almost no one is supporting Microsoft Windows XP x64, the 64-bit
| version of Windows XP.
|
| There are no Antivirus programs that work with x64 and most
| applications won't work with x64 (unless they run the crippled
| 32-bit equivalent).
|
| Programs won't install printer drivers because, apparently, no one
| can figure out how to write a 64-bit printer driver.
|
| If Windows XP x64 has this much trouble with basic elements such
| as printer drivers, how can anyone expect the much maligned Windows
| Vista to be of any value?
|
| Frankly, my high opinion of Microsoft is quickly fading away, and
| my shop used to be a staunch Microsoft shop.
|
| Open Source alternatives are looking better and better every
| day.
`----

http://roacm.blogspot.com/

Next Release of OneCare Won't Support Vista x64

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/next_release_of_onecare_still_wontsupport_vista_x64.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/26ndme

--
List of candidate Microsoft astroturfers (directly or indirectly paid by
Microsoft to post in this newsgroup):

        flatfish+++
        Damian O'Leary (AKA Hadron Quark)
        Erik Funkenbusch
        Larry Qualig (former Microsoft employee)
        Scott Nudds (AKA Vistaking)
        Nedd Ludd
        Tim Smith
        OK
        DFS
        Terry
        Ana Thema

Take everything posted by the individuals above with a barrel of salt.