Re: Latest Knoppix Live CD

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 24 January 2007 23:49 \__

> On Thursday 18 January 2007 17:51 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Knoppix 5.1.1: Now with eye candy
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The new year has brought a new release of the Knoppix live CD. Along
>> | with the usual updates to application software, the most noticeable
>> | change in version 5.1.1 is the inclusion of the Beryl 3-D desktop
>> | with the Emerald theming engine.
>> `----
>>
>> http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/1651243&from=rss
>
> OK - I suppose all that you did was post the link Roy, but thanks anyway.
>
> I've burned my CD, and very useful it looks.
> It found everything, mounted everything, and this looks like the one to
> carry around from now on for repairs to Windows machines, etc.
> Seems very fast to boot (pun intended!).

Speaking of Windows repair, a colleague of mine had a system crash a fornight
ago. He sent me an E-mail saying that he had seen me mention some Linux live
CDs for recovery. He hasn't any experience with Linux. At first I suggested
that he should consider Knoppix, pointing out the fact that a new release is
out. It was only the following day that Linux.com posted this review, so I
let him have a look at it, as well.

> One neat trick -
>   knoppix desktop=beryl
> at the boot prompt gives it all the 3D stuff, transparent windows, The
> Cube, wobbly windows etc.
>
> ... and why not?  I'm still not convinced about its utility, but it sure
> has the "wow factor" - or is that TM of MS now?

Apparently it means something to some people. That's one of that main reason
people buy vista (although ALT+TAB for 'flip mode' is a joke in comparison
to XGL or Looking Glass). Personally, I don't even enable any animation on
my production machines. Enabled some eye candy before. Seen that, that
that... you know? That's it... show is over... any animation that makes
actions take longer leaves you impatient. And unless someone is watching
over your shoulder, this serves no need (e.g. vanity, which is why people
loved CPU-intensive screensavers in the 90s).

> Just one question - there's a DVD on the site as well.
> What on earth does that do that the CD doesn't?  There seems to be enough
> on the CD for at least one lifetime!

Have you taken a look at SabayonLinux? That Live DVD has got /everything/. I
think Debian repositories are around 22 GB in total, so Blu-ray media could
probably contain them as well...

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Useless fact: Women blink twice as much as men
Cpu(s):  24.7% user,   3.0% system,   0.7% nice,  71.6% idle