[News] Despite Beating Estimates, Microsoft Profits Down $1,000,000,000

Microsoft Feels the Pain of Vista's Delay and Losses in Search

,----[ Quote ]
| So now we know how much the delay in Microsoft's (MSFT) launch of its
| Vista operating system cost the company: $1 billion in profits, and
| $1.64 billion in deferred revenues.  (Profits declined in
| just-announced quarter to $2.6 billion, from $3.6 billion last
| year).  The question now is whether Microsoft can make it up
| in short order.
`----

http://blogs.business2.com/business2blog/2007/01/vista_delay_low.html

Linux is where the increased profits are at (see below). Growth opportunity
and innovation requires reuse, interoperability, and cooperation.

Related:

The Best Blue Chip for 2007: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| Similarly, by tapping into the open-source movement, harnessing the
| power of its new software acquisitions, and understanding the
| immense potential of everything from SoulPad and the Smart
| Surveillance System to its supercomputers, IBM consultants
| are poised to provide their clients the tools and information
| they will need to stay competitive.
`----

http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2006/commentary06111416.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y
http://tinyurl.com/ydo29n

Red Hat profit tops Wall Street view, shares soar

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061221:MTFH61389_2006-12-21_23-31-42_N21218848&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/y57we9

--
List of candidate Microsoft astroturfers (directly or indirectly paid by
Microsoft to post in this newsgroup):

        flatfish+++
        Damian O'Leary (AKA Hadron Quark)
        Erik Funkenbusch
        Larry Qualig (former Microsoft employee)
        Scott Nudds (AKA Vistaking)
        Nedd Ludd
        Tim Smith
        OK
        DFS
        Terry
        Ana Thema

Take everything posted by the individuals above with a barrel of salt.