[News] Microsoft Word Gains 4th Unpatched Zero-day Flaw, Already Exploited, Leads to Zombie PCs

Another Word zero-day bug used in attacks

,----[ Quote ]
| The newest problem allows an attacker to hijack systems running Word 2000
| and causes a crash of Word 2003 and Word XP, Symantec said in an alert
| Thursday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6153562.html

Yesterday on the BBC:

Criminals 'may overwhelm the web'

,----[ Quote ]
| "Operating systems like Microsoft Windows still made it too easy for
| criminals."

Last week:

Spam is back, and worse than ever

,----[ Quote ]
| New computer viruses have contributed to the uptick, also,
| particularly a surprisingly prolific Trojan horse program
| called "SpamThru" that turns home computers into
| spam-churning "bots."
`----

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/01/spam_is_back_an.html

Related:

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is better at locking down a computer than Windows. The Linux OS
| uses configuration settings and user permissions to a much more
| efficient degree than the Windows administrator account. To do
| this, non-enterprise users should seek help from third-party
| security suites that serve as configuration managers, James
| Bottomley, chief technology officer of SteelEye Technology said.

Security Report: Windows vs Linux

,----[Executive summary ]
| Finally, we also include a brief overview of relevant conceptual
| differences between Windows and Linux, to offer an insight into why
| Windows tends to be more vulnerable to attacks at both server and desktop,
| and why Linux is inherently more secure
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| You can think of Windows XP as a house with a second floor built of
| spackle, wood filler and duct tape.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows

List of candidate Microsoft astroturfers (directly or indirectly paid by
Microsoft to post in this newsgroup):

        flatfish+++
        Damian O'Leary (AKA Hadron Quark)
        Erik Funkenbusch
        Larry Qualig (former Microsoft employee)
        Scott Nudds (AKA Vistaking)
        Nedd Ludd
        Tim Smith
        OK
        DFS
        Terry
        Ana Thema

Take everything posted by the individuals above with a barrel of salt.