Re: [News] The Time of Linux Has Already Come

> Some would argue that 2006 was the year of the desktop and I happen to
> agree
> with that. It had been unstoppable from mid-2006 onwards.
>
> Linux in 2006: June is Busting Out All Over
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I apologize for sounding like a typical lame pundit, but 2006 was the
> Year
> | of Linux. I never said that before--I was waiting until it became true.
> `----

The author goes on:

"The Novell-Microsoft deal, as distasteful as it is to a lot of observers,
is the crowning seal of Linux approval. The biggest purveyor of anti-Linux
and anti-FOSS propaganda, misinformation and FUD made a deal with a Linux
vendor. Whatever the merits of the deal itself, this is a gigantic
validation of Linux in the enterprise. Microsoft is playing in the FOSS
ballpark now, and it doesn't matter how reluctantly, or how much they try to
twist the rules and change the game. You can't buy this kind of exposure.
PHBs everywhere are looking at this and thinking "Huh. Microsoft does Linux,
whatever that is. I better have some too."

This is very true although her conclusion is a little faulty.  The "PHB"
will think that either Windows or Linux may suffice and is going to ask his
vendor for an opinion of which to choose.  But who is the vendor likely to
be?  I think Microsoft more often than not.  "Life is good!" says Bill
Gates.