[News] Microsoft's Ajax - Little, Late, and Proprietary?

Microsoft Late With Ajax - Still Anyone's Game

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has thrown its hat into the Ajax ring with a free tool for
| building standards-compliant Web applications called "ASP .NET AJAX 1.0."
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/f4PCKzNcF4StGY/Microsoft-Late-With-Ajax---Still-Anyones-Game.xhtml

Worth mentioning is the fact that they are excluding themselves from
interoperability efforts.

OpenAjax Alliance tackles interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| While the alliance already has an impressive list of members, one
| name remains conspicuously absent: Microsoft.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/20060920/tc_macwo

I am guessing that they want to add proprietary 'extensions', which only work
in Windows/IE. This has pretty much been confirmed before, but I can't
recall the source. Somebody from a (crossposted) Windows newsgroups argued
it was the case several months ago.