[News] Death of Domain Parking Good News for Apache/Linux?

The Death of Domain Parking and the Birth of a New Vertical Web 2.0 Empire

,----[ Quote ]
| Why domain parking as we know it is about to come to an end...
| and what's next
`----

http://www.dailydomainer.com/news/200733-200733-death-of-domain-parking.html

Apache controls over 73% of the Web[1] while Microsoft pays[2] Web hosts in
order to switch over the idle, inactive and parked domains. This tweaks
various statistics, including Netcraft, and confuses people. Same technique
as that which they use with OEMs, which are threatened [3,4,5,6] if they
preinstall GNU/Linux. This also explains why some companies give a PC with a
blank hard-drive rather than have Linux installed.

Related:

[1] December 2006 Security Space Survey Results

,----[ Quote ]
| Security Space estimates that nearly 90 percent of all Web sites
| are "orphans" to which no other sites link. Its Web server survey
|     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| therefore counts only those servers referenced on other sites.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3652421

[2] Open Source Fights Back

,----[ Quote ]
| Question: The OpenSourceParking.com announcement cites a Netcraft
| report, which found that GoDaddy.com's migration from Linux to Windows
| caused Apache to lose server share. Was this event the sole impetus
| for OpenSourceParking.com?
|
| Perens: Not the first. It's part of a continuing behavior pattern by
| Microsoft that I think it's fair to call "dirty fighting." GoDaddy was
| using Apache (I assume on Linux) because it was a great technical
| solution. They didn't switch to IIS on Windows Server 2003 for any
| technical reason. The switch was accompanied by a press release by
| GoDaddy, containing Microsoft promotional language. Now, I've changed
| many servers from one thing to another, but I've never made a press
| release about it. GoDaddy wouldn't be doing that unless Microsoft had
| offered them something valuable in return. There has been talk in the
| domain business that Microsoft has been offering the large domain
| registries a wad of cash to switch their parked sites. There is no
| other reason to do this than to influence the Netcraft figures.
`----

                        http://www.itbusinessedge.com/item/?ci=15108

[3] Dell's secret Linux fling

,----[ Quote ]
| It later emerged that Microsoft's OEM enforcer Joachim Kempin had
| promised Steve Ballmer that he'd be putting the screws on PC
| builders, or "hitting the OEMs harder" in his words.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

[4] Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret

,----[ Quote ]
| They are, in short the secret to Microsoft's success. And the word
| secret is to be taken quite literally: No OEM may talk about the
| contents of his contract, or he will lose his license, and (assumption)
| likely be sued for breach of contract as well.
`----

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/23/13219/110

[5] Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'm thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux.
| ... they should do a delicate dance," Kempin wrote to Ballmer, in what is
| sure to be a memorable addition to the phrases ("knife the baby", "cut off
| the air supply") with which Microsoft enriched the English language in the
| first trial. Unlike those two, this is not contested.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

[6] Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1