Re: [News] Sun Microsystems is Not Just After Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Sun Microsystems F2Q07 (Qtr End 12/31/06) Earnings Call Transcript
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In terms of Solaris versus Linux, its not versus Linux, its really
> | versus any other mainstream operating system out there and Linux
> | represents a collection of operating systems in which Red Hat is I
> | think clearly the leader. But it's also compared to HP-UX and AIX
> | and a variety of others. [ -- Jonathan Schwartz ]
> `----
>
> http://seekingalpha.com/article/24924
>
> The press is adding unnecessary drama by saying that only Linux is being
> targetted. Replacing proprietary UNIX with GPL Solaris might actually be
> helpful... a perceptual shift.

Sun have supported Linux for a long time, they supported the concept of Open
Source right at the start, but it wasn't possible for them to go that way
with UNIX of cause. They have been our allies and I haven't seen or heard
anything to contradict that.

Of cause they are a business, and a large business at that, so will push
their own version and support systems. But it is a good version, it comes
with many extras that until now we probably would have only seen if we had
access to a high end workstation.

Remember that Sun's high end graphics devices were a long way ahead of the
PC devices for many years, we were following them, these people know a
thing or two about high end graphics and many other important areas, I'm
sure their input can only be good for us.

The one and only thing that stopped me when I was looking for a new Linux
for one of my PCs at home last year, was that you do need a fairly
powerfull machine to take full advantage of those things that come with
solaris.