[News] Interface Change in Office Could Help Linux and Open Source

Office 2007 faces snail's pace migration

,----[ Quote ]
| For better or worse, Office has shaped our notions of how a PC desktop
| should look and feel - so much so, that Linux and open source
| challengers have been undone by not emulating Office. This time,
| though, it seems Microsoft could lose out itself by changing the
| traditional Office experience in Office 2007.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/23/microsoft_office_2007_uptake/

It's worth pointing out that, while Microsoft wants people to think that
competirors build Office copycats, Office itself is a design/paradigm ripoff
(see links at the very bottom).

Related:

Bold Redesign Improves Office 2007 But Learning Curve May Be Too Steep for
Some Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "it requires a steep learning curve that many people might rather avoid.
| In my own tests, I was cursing the program for weeks"
`----                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116786111022966326-T8UUTIl2b10DaW11usf4NasZTYI_20080103.html

Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has been talking up Office 2007 ahead of its business launch
| on November 30. However, the recently departed deputy CIO of one of
| Australia's biggest government Microsoft sites believes introducing
| the new version of Microsoft Office may be the company's biggest
|                                                          ^^^^^^^
| ever disaster.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Question: why do I need to upgrade to Office 2007?

,----[ Quote ]
| Much has been said and written about Microsoft's "bold", "gutsy",
| and "innovative" initiative of releasing Office 2007, an office
| productivity suite with a totally new user interface. However, the
| question that is bound to be on the lips of every user will be: "why
| do I need to upgrade?" Microsoft doesn't really have a good answer.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft, however, claims to have come up with something better
| and more intuitive - the Ribbon. Such a claim begs the question:
| "If the new user interface of Office 2007 is so intuitive, why does
| it have a learning curve?" And it does have a learning curve - a
| very steep learning curve.

Office 2007: From bloated to sleek

,----[ Quote ]
| Life has a funny symmetry, don't you think? When you're born, you're
| short, toothless and bald. You spend the first part of your life
| gaining height, teeth and hair--and the last part losing them again.
| Believe it or not, Microsoft Office is following the same trajectory.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6151153.html

Is Imitation The Sincerest Form of Flattery?

,----[ Quote ]
| As many as 8 of the top 10 benefits of Microsoft Office 2007
| provide capabilities that have already been addressed by Corel
| WordPerfect Office X3. Some "new" features of Microsoft Office
| 2007 have even been part of Corel WordPerfect Office for
| close to a decade!
`----

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Content_C1&cid=1166553933785&lc=en&pagename=CorelCom%2FLayout&trkid=wpe0107ft
http://tinyurl.com/2key74

The Redmond Copying Machine?

,----[ Quote ]
| My recent video, which tweaked Microsoft for crowing about its
| "innovation" in Windows Vista (without acknowledging its huge debt
| to Mac OS X), triggered plenty of reaction. It probably comes as no
| surprise that your comments quickly devolved into "which is better"
| bickering, which will proably never end.
|
| [...]
|
| Then this e-mail message, which arrived today from a guy who says
| he worked as a Microsoft temp employee from 2003 to 2004. I've
| agreed not to publish his name.
|
| [...]
|
| "Around the corner was another grid, showing the RealPlayer
| application. This grid was the same: grid A1 was the front userv
| iew of the application, mirroring what was on the iTunes wall/grid.
|
| "Around the next corner was another grid, this one showing Windows
| Media Player version 9 !! This one was missing a few tiles in the
| grid, but you could actually see the progress as each feature [of
| iTunes and RealPlayer] was copied, square for square.
|
| "Amazing. New software is put out, a manager sees it and decides that the
| creative part of their day is making color screen captures of the
| software and presenting it to the copying--er, engineering team."
`----

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/12/18/the-redmond-copying-machine/

All the Myth about Microsoft!

,----[ Quote ]