Re: Vista Degrades XP's Usability, Requires New PC

http://www.designerkev.com/blog/technology/windows-vista-bad-usability-and-navigation/

http://www.playfuls.com/news_05902_Hasta_la_Vista_XP_Switching_to_Microsofts_new_operating_system.html

>> And the cost of PC's has just gone up, not down, because of Vista's
>> hardware
>> requirements. This doesn't even account for the editions upgardes
>> (software
>> fees). References to support this are appended.
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Microsoft Vista costs 20% more to build
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The firm said that an average desktop PC running Windows XP costs
>> | PC OEMs just over $500 for the build components. But for Vista,
>> | that figure jumps by around 20 per cent to over $600.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36251
>>

>> Acer: Vista Home Basic is a lemon
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft is effectively smuggling through a price hike for Windows
>> | Vista - by making the entry-level version so poor that no-one will
>> | want to use it. So says Jim Wong, senior veep at Acer, the world's
>> | number four PC maker, who told UK hack Jon Honeyball: "The new
>> | [Vista] experience you hear of, if you get Basic, you won't feel
>> | it at all. There's no [Aero] graphics, no Media Center, no
>> | remote control."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/27/acer_slams_vista_home_basic/
>>

>> Vista costs more than a computer in Australia
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista,
>> revealing
>> | that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually
>> cost
>> | more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
>> | computer.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/6154/53/
>
> The article fails to mention where you can get a "well-configured desktop"
> computer for less than $AUD 750.
>
> What you can buy is eg AcerPower F6 PD 945 Dual Core 3.4GHz 1GB 250GB
> DVDÂRW XP Pro for $AUD999 WITH Microsoft Vista Upgrade Guarantee.

I recently bought my daughter a new AMD 3000 for well under $500. Okay so
that was no monitor, but it was the 'computer', and many people on the
upgrade path already have a monitor they 'just bought'. So $750 is a big
chunk to pay for just an OS that essentially does nothing at all on it's
own. I'd rather buy another PC. Heck, i could upgrade my box to a AMD 4000
dual core for less than that...