[News] Vista Degrades XP's Usability, Requires New PC

Windows Vista: Bad usability and navigation?

,----[ Quote ]
| This style of button is present on all Vista windows and programs, as
| far as I have seen. This is a huge loss of usability to the Windows
| Vista interface.
`----

http://www.designerkev.com/blog/technology/windows-vista-bad-usability-and-navigation/
http://tinyurl.com/2xlkmf

I think I have seen another more scientific article that demonstates how
looks compromised usability, not just system resources. Oh, actually I have
just found it... <
http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/01/5-sins-of-vista.html >, but this
had already been posted.

Also today:

Hasta la Vista, XP: Switching to Microsoft's new operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| "Windows" is dead, long live Windows. Windows XP, the current
| dominant operating system, has met its successor. Vista will
| launch its bid to conquer PCs worldwide under the Microsoft
| banner starting on   January 30. Millions of XP users will
| supposedly be convinced to make the switch. That may be more
| difficult than advertised, since there are few compelling
| reasons for an immediate changeover.
|
| [...]
|
| "Otherwise you need to work with the classic view," says Vahldiek.
| The easiest way to assure that hardware and the Vista operating
| system will work together is to buy a computer with the operating
| system pre-installed. That may be the most affordable solution
| as well.
`----

http://www.playfuls.com/news_05902_Hasta_la_Vista_XP_Switching_to_Microsofts_new_operating_system.html

And the cost of PC's has just gone up, not down, because of Vista's hardware
requirements. This doesn't even account for the editions upgardes (software
fees). References to support this are appended.

Related:

Microsoft Vista costs 20% more to build

,----[ Quote ]
| The firm said that an average desktop PC running Windows XP costs
| PC OEMs just over $500 for the build components. But for Vista,
| that figure jumps by around 20 per cent to over $600.

Acer: Vista Home Basic is a lemon

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is effectively smuggling through a price hike for Windows
| Vista - by making the entry-level version so poor that no-one will
| want to use it. So says Jim Wong, senior veep at Acer, the world's
| number four PC maker, who told UK hack Jon Honeyball: "The new
| [Vista] experience you hear of, if you get Basic, you won't feel
| it at all. There's no [Aero] graphics, no Media Center, no
| remote control."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/27/acer_slams_vista_home_basic/

Vista costs more than a computer in Australia

,----[ Quote ]