Re: [News] $100 Linux Laptop Gets New and Improved Build

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, AB
<fardblossom@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 23 Jan 2007 05:25:40 -0600
<ku7h84-ohl.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 2007-01-23, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>> OLPC details low-cost laptop Build 2 mods
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The One Laptop Per Child project, which demonstrated the first build
>>| of the self-powered laptop to a roomful of reporters Jan. 8 at the
>>| Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, is now into its second build
>>| of the new green machine.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS4963854992.html
>>
>> The next generation will run Linux. Unfortunately, the youngsters may never
>> be aware of concepts like "system crash", "reboot", "virus", "blue screen of
>> death", "DRM", "editions", and "validation".
>
> Unfortunately? That's a *PLUS*, that is.
>
> They can always look it up on the internet. Or go to a museum that has
> a section to show what the world was like back in the dark ages of
> Windows. It might even eventually become part of their education on
> world history, showing how backward the world was when crooked
> monopolies were able to fool and enslave millions for profit.

I'm not sure if the OLPC will run X but one could also download certain
screensavers and marvel at some of the crashes, among them:

- the Amiga GURU
- the sad dead Mac
- a crash of HP/UX (I've had a few, so I recognize it)
- and of course two -- maybe now three -- "stop screens", more
  commonly known as Blue Screens Of Death (BSODs).

Fortunately, hitting carriage return will bring up a "Password unlock"
prompt, or one's desktop.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.