[News] 'Intellectual' 'Property' FUD Gets to Customers

Wal-Mart eyes Microsoft for Web build-out

,----[ Quote ]
| She said the intellectual property protections in the Novell deal
| give Wal-Mart more confidence in using Linux more broadly.
|
| Questions over intellectual property are a "huge problem," Stewart
| said. The company now uses Linux in the data center of its current
| Web presence but had some trepidation with the idea of expanding it
| a much larger operation.
|
| "To think about using it pervasively, we were very concerned about
| it," she said. The larger Web operation would have "significantly
| higher legal exposure.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6152247.html

Yet again, Novell gives credence to the ludicrous argument that software
patents have validity and that Linux needs 'protection'.

Related (thanks, Doug):

,----[ Quote ]
| "Does Microsoft intend to continue to break the law by filing software
| patents in South Africa?"
|
| "the patent office does not check the validity of the patent. The
| patent office only checks that payment has been made and that the
| correct forms are filled out. For this reason, software patents slip
| through the process illegally."
|
| "Once these patents slip through the system they are extremely
| expensive to revoke"
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1331

Do Windows users have an "undisclosed balance-sheet liability" too?

,----[ Quote ]
| Who can tell what infringes what any more? Also, I wonder if we should
| even care. Patents were originally created to protect the little guy
| who invents a gizmo, tries to sell it, but sees another company come
| along, copy the gizmo, and make all the money selling their version.
| But today's application of patents to software is completely warped
| and twisted from that noble idea of fairness and reward for hard
| work... Countries that see what we're doing and avoid it will be
| at a competitive advantage. While we sit around gazing at our
| navels, they will be free to let developers develop, collaborate,
| and innovate in peace...
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=216

NT influenced by Unix