Re: [News] Motorola's Sharp Profit Drop Leads to Open Source Strategy

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 22 January 2007 10:13 \__

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2007/tc20070119_186156.htm

> Open source is all about economics.  It's about the economics of
> bartering, trading, sharing cost and effort, of maintaining a long-term
> return on investment.  You get no guarantee of any ROI if you write
> using a BSD licence.  You take a gamble if you write using a proprietary
> model licence that you'll get some ROI.  If, however, you use the GPL,
> then you are guaranteed that nobody can steel your code, and that if
> anyone makes any changes, then those changes will be returned to you.
> The GPL is the licence which has a built-in ROI clause.
>
> It is all about economics.

And science, of course...

Build upon the work of others and share the fruits of your work. At the end
of the day this benefits society. CSS is about /small/ benefits gained in
seclusion, empowered by secrecy (me, me, me!).

Y'know, all the source code and material I put out there gets my scientific
papers cited. I see other people who hide their work and therefore they have
little or no visibility in the world of pattern recognition. Give away your
work and become more marketable. Shelter and exclude, then find yourself
isolated. People must open up in order to compete. The Internet opens doors
that were never available before. No longer must we go through a harsh peer
review process in order to go in print (because there's a limit on the
amount of paper/toner one can afford). No need to spend time travelling to
reach conferences either (they will be more poorly attended these days).
It's all about communication. The Internet encourages exchange of code and
information, so the old model of working only with the devs 'in house' is a
recipe for failure. People just search the Web. Of course, citation and
publication farms like Citeseer don't help quality; same with
SourceForge/Freshmeat/others. But if one uses the tools available,
assessment of the quality (e.g. using citation count and its digital
equivalent -- PageRank-type algos) is possible.

In industry and academia alike, openness is the only way to go. And guess
what? 3 years after a few of us requested and suggested a divisional Wiki we
actually got one set up. Too little, too late.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/4                         Mon Jan 22 07:29 - 07:34  (00:04)