Re: MS pays fines in MS software licenses ..

__/ [ amicus_curious ] on Sunday 21 January 2007 15:03 \__

>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 19 January 2007 08:12 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> This is the height of third-world and US corruption.  I've no idea how
>>> on earth anyone could possibly consider this to be a settlement of any
>>> kind.  Are Microsoft not considered to be the world's richest company by
>>> many?  Should they not be fined?  Do not the legal people understand
>>> that Microsoft's production costs are ZERO?  Do they not understand that
>>> vouchers for Microsoft software merely means that Microsoft have yet
>>> again broken the law and got away with it?
>>
>> The "production cost" part of your argument is a nice one... worth a
>> mental
>> note! Punish the drug dealer by giving him a lethal (but not deadly) doze
>> of
>> cocaine. Microsoft is trippin'.
>>
> Amid all the glee over Microsoft's losses in these class action suits
> should come an understanding that the issue was framed as an overcharge due
> to the effects of having a legitimately constructed monopoly in operating
> systems
> for desktop computers.  Nationwide, the settlements have averaged about $5
> per copy of DOS or Windows versions purchased at retail.  The settlements
> are in the form of sizeable cash payments to the lawyers involved and
> vouchers sent to customers who apply for reimbursement.  The vouchers are
> useable for non-Microsoft software compatible with Microsoft operating
> systems as well as for the operating systems themselves.  Further, a base
> level of payments is established and a proviso that unclaimed vouchers up
> to the base limit are aggregated and given to the educational systems of
> the
> state.  The cost for this is not zero as the poster claims since the
> vouchers go to distributors rather than Microsoft itself and represent lost
> volume that would commonly be paid for in cash.

Vouchers that can only be redeemed in the form of software are what we call
"funny money". Free software is not only code that gives freedom; it's
usually free of charges, too.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Spam enchanted evening..."
  3:20pm  up 95 days  1:34,  7 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.65, 0.88