Re: Linux Creator Calls GPLv3 Authors 'Hypocrites' As Open Source Debate Tu Nasty

On 10 Jul, 22:10, Nomen Nescio <nob...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/07/linux_creat...
>
> I'm deeply troubled that Linus Torvalds could be so stupid as to say these
> things. The GPLv3 is intended to preserve the freedom of the USERS of
> open-source freedom, and not the companies using it to make products. If
> companies like Tivo use Open Source Software but at the same time make it
> impossible for people to modify it then we're back to square one. I guess
> that Torvalds defines 'users' as anyone who uses OSS, including companies.
> Find, but if those same companies use OSS and subsequently take our
> freedom away to modify the software then I believe it's legitimate that
> the OSS community reacts with the GPLv3. I don't *mind* companies like
> Tivo locking-down their devices but then let them write their own
> operating system, compiler and binutils from scratch, not use ours. Why is
> he defending unethical behavior of greedy companies who are misusing OSS
> to make a quick buck, without having to spend millions (if not billions)
> to roll their own software? I believe Torvald's ranting itself is
> unethical and I question if he really understands the spirit of free
> software.
>
> In the end his ranting won't matter anyway since 60% of any Linux system
> is GNU stuff anyway, most of which will fall under GPLv3 before long. If
> the GCC compiler or the libc falls under GPLv3 then most companies won't
> have a choice but to abide by it. Take it or leave it.

Linus is, unfortunately, starting to spout shit.  Ok, he doesn't like
the GPLv3 - I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure he can continue to
license his stuff under the GPLv2 if he wants.  (If I'm wrong, please
correct me - but don't just say "You're wrong," please explain my
error.)

Anyway, I said spouting shit.  Linus said, "Only religious fanatics
and totalitarian states equate 'morality' with 'legality,'

"There's tons of examples of that from human history. The ruler is not
just a king, he's a God, so disagreeing with him is immoral, but it's
also illegal, and you can get your head cut off."

Forgetting about Kings and Gods, of course morality and legality can
be equated by "normal" people as opposed to "religious fanatics and
totalitarian states".

For instance: murder.  That's widely seen as immoral.  And it's also
illegal in most jurisdictions.  Same with screwing children; stealing
from the poor... I could go on, but it's all obvious stuff and I don't
wan to bore you.

So Linus doesn't like GPLv3... so don't use it!!  But for Linus to try
telling everyone else how to license their own work - that's what /I/
call immoral!