Re: GPLv3 Progress and Linus Torvalds on Microsoft's Play

____/ dapunka on Tuesday 10 July 2007 15:05 : \____

> On 10 Jul, 14:42, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Conversions to GPLv3 from v2...moving slowly
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Why is the uptake so tepid? Well, the rampant FUD around v3 probably
>> | helped, but I don't think that's the main issue. I actually think the
>> | primary problem is that GPLv3 didn't go far enough, in many ways. It's
>> | an updated version of GPLv2, which is good, but doesn't resolve some
>> | of the industry's most pressing issues, like the ASP loophole.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Still, it's a good license, and I think the adoption will continue
>> | and accelerate as people grok it better. I particularly think that
>> | it will find adherents in companies and communities that have used
>> | quasi-open source licenses. It allows for reasonable attribution,
>> | for one thing, which may serve to obviate the whole MPL+attribution
>> | debate.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9741324-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&sub...
>>
>> Linus Torvalds Speaks: Have You Something To Ask?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Linus: "Personally, I think it's just posturing. And if it results in more
>> | companies doing patent cross-licencing with Microsoft, I think Microsoft
>> | will be happy - that may well be the primary motivation. But I'm not a
>> | lawyer, nor do I intend to start playing one on TV (or in the tech press).
>> | So this is just my personal interpretation. The fact that Microsoft didn't
>> | actually name any of the patents makes me think it's just FUD and hot
>> | air."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=20212&magid=11
>
> Linus Torvalds has for quite some time being a so-called "hero" of
> mine - not because of his stance vis-a-vis FOSS (he's too inclined
> towards proprietary solutions for my liking), but because his personal
> "itch", through dedication and self-belief, has produced an OS that is
> better and cheaper than Windows - he's helped in the development of an
> OS that works well and has admirable intentions.
>
> No doubt, if we met face-to-face, we would find plenty to argue
> about.  Nut he has been a major figure in the release of software.  He
> comes across as a likeable guy.  I'd love to meet him.  Maybe I'll try
> to establish an email correspondence with him (though I recognize he
> must have to drop such correspondence due to its size).  He's a good
> guy - a dying breed all over, not just in the FOSS field.

I get the impression that he is not a very polite guy. In fact, he seems to
have a hard time getting along with everyone, including those who planted the
seed on which he based him work. I repsect him a great deal, but the God
status he sometimes gets (see the article above) is not only annoying to him,
but also to some other people.

We're all human and I think that Linus is by *far* nicer than Jobs and Gates
who are very rude and dishonest when the camera of the press is not around.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc