[News] Nanny Nations Highlight Dangers of Nanny Operating Systems

  • Subject: [News] Nanny Nations Highlight Dangers of Nanny Operating Systems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:02:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Judges OK warrantless monitoring of Web use

,----[ Quote ]
| Federal agents do not need a search warrant to monitor a suspect's computer
| use and determine the e-mail addresses and Web pages the suspect is
| contacting, a federal appeals court ruled Friday.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/07/BAGMNQSJDA1.DTL&tsp=1

More nannies encourage the use of trusted computers (Linux or another open
source platform), which offer privacy-preserving facilities. How much spyware
does Vista contain out of the box again?

Related:

German government admits it is already conducting online searches

,----[ Quote ]
| Piltz called on the German government to block funding for the
| programming of software used in online searches; she also said it
| was urgent that the government "discontinue these searches until
| the German Supreme Court has reached a ruling on the matter."
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/88895/from/rss09

James Allchin

'---[ Quote ]
| In relation to the issue of sharing technical API and protocol
| information used throughout Microsoft products, which the
| states were seeking, Allchin alleged that releasing this
| information would increase the security risk to consumers.
|
|        "It is no exaggeration to say that the national security is
|        also implicated by the efforts of hackers to break into
|        computing networks. Computers, including many running Windows
|        operating systems, are used throughout the United States
|        Department of Defense and by the armed forces of the United
|        States in Afghanistan and elsewhere."
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Allchin

Who do You Trust with Your Computing?