[News] Protesting Against Microsoft's Misuse of Standards Bodies (Voting for Itself Again?)

  • Subject: [News] Protesting Against Microsoft's Misuse of Standards Bodies (Voting for Itself Again?)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 01:17:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Global Graphics' Martin Bailey Chairs New Ecma Committee Formed To Standardize
XPS

,----[ Quote ]
| Global Graphics’ chief technology officer Martin Bailey has been appointed
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| by standards development body Ecma International to chair a new
|                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| technical committee that will work on producing a formal industry
| standard for the XML Paper Specification (XPS), the new print and
| document format introduced by Microsoft with Windows Vista....
|
| Global Graphics has played a prominent role in the development and
| launch of the XPS specification from the very start. A recognized
| expert in interpreting, rendering and converting PDLs, Global Graphics’
| leading edge expertise and engineering capability were factors in the
| Company being chosen by Microsoft in 2003 to provide consultation
| services on the XPS specification as well as develop a prototype and
| a print reference XPS RIP for Microsoft.
`----

http://members.whattheythink.com/news/newslink.cfm?id=27838

Once again, Microsoft's friends are in the committee which handles the validity
of their /own/ standards. The whole ECMA thing is just a production line.

My Comments to the Mass. ITD on OOXML - Please Send Yours

,----[ Quote ]
| Preparing such comments is time consuming, but it is also important.  I took
| several hours to do so yesterday, and have just sent them to the ITD just
| now.  You can to, and I hope that you will.  The ITD's comment address is
| standards@xxxxxxxxxxx, and the deadline is next Friday.  If you're a believer
| in open standards, please don't let that deadline pass without making your
| thoughts known.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070709085538784

Related:

Packing The Court At The ISO?

,----[ Quote ]
|      ...P member countries ('participating member' countries) sending
|     representatives, and I am interested to note the majority of
|     their representatives are, as individuals, also Microsoft employees.
|
| [...]
|
| How can they not see that OOXML (ECMA 376) is unwanted by anyone outside of
| Microsoft? How about it Brian Jones? Are you really so desperate that you
| have to resort to that?
`----

http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/packing-the-court-at-the-iso/

Q&A: Former Mass. CIO feels 'bittersweet pride' after battles with Microsoft,
legislature

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012760&source=rss_news50

,----[ Quote ]
|    Quinn:  Almost to a person, to anybody involved or who knows about
|    the ODF issue, they attributed the story to Microsoft, right, wrong
|    or otherwise. Senator Pacheco may be a bully but I do not believe he
|    is disingenious and would stoop to such a tactic. Senator Pacheco and
|    Secretary Galvin's office remain very heavily influenced by the
|    Microsoft money and its lobbyist machine, as witnessed by their
|    playbook and words, in my opinion.

MA Governor-Elect Names MS Anti-ODF Lobbyist to Technology Advisory Group

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183