Re: [News] Running Windows Applications in Linux No Longer a Challenge (GUI Only)

____/ BearItAll on Monday 09 July 2007 11:21 : \____

> VMWare really has come a long way hasn't it. I've never actually had a use
> for it, but I did try it many years ago (curiosity isn't good for cats but
> humans are alright with it). There was a lot of messing round in those days
> with each application you tried. It seems to be very easy now.

Yes, but the same goes for their competition, including Innotek which now
offers a GPL-licensed alternative.

> I notice that Vista looks like it will not be good for VMWare. I know we
> already knew that, but I can't help feeling that MS has made yet another
> mistake, their own VM is good (from what I have read), but they will need
> to allow for other choices of VM host.

VMWare is already talking about antitrust action.

> UNIX/Linux is still the main player in the server side and that is unlikely
> to change, use of virtual OS's will grow, it is very attractive for
> external hosts and within companies, so if MS want to be included as a VM
> option they have to play the game. They did that with XP, putting in the
> changes needed so that Linux VM hosts can include XP, that was the first
> time in a long time where we got a glimpse of the MS we would all like to
> see, where they cooperate, gains for them and gains for us, fair play.
> Surely they can see the benefits for themselves in allowing the same with
> Vista.
>
> Ok, so at this time I don't suppose anyone in their right mind would select
> Vista from the VM list, but they might want it at some time, if MS can get
> it working. You never know, they might get it working   erm     no really
> it is possible         erm           isn't it?
>
> Sorry for giggling but a thought just occured, you get the feeling that they
> have Vista code on a table like one of those Stickle Bricks toys, you have
> to be really carefull adding and improving bits, gently move this part and
> very very gently add this piece, because you know that at some point the
> whole thing is going to spring and you are left with bricks scattered all
> over the place and no chance at all of getting it back together again. So
> no one is breathing more than necessary, no one dare move at all, then you
> notice you have left a brick out in the middle, you have no choice but to
> try and fit this tiny little piece in there ......
>
> I bet it's a lot like that in the MS Vista programmers lab.
>

> I wonder how long MS will bash it until they decide that they will have to
> take the risk and relaunch it, some will be gullible enough to give it a
> second try, but if it is just as bad then MS must surely take a nose dive,
> the marketeers are already very nervous, wondering when the big pay back
> will actually arrive.

The same problems are inherent in Longhorn (Server 2008). There are many clues
to show this /already/. Microsoft was able to hide this better with Vista.

> We know don't we boys and girls. So do MS, that is why the only valid
> tac-tic that they have is to throw stones at Linux in the hopes it will
> fall over.

Expect a lot more FUD and media assaults from Microsoft. Too many people now
hate that company, including people who used to be platform-agnostic and
tolerant towards Microsoft presence.

The Intel-Dell-MS oligopoly/treo can be weakened by competition (Freedom)
         run-level 2  2007-06-16 18:32                   last=