[News] Linux is Ready to Take on the iPhone and the Desktop

  • Subject: [News] Linux is Ready to Take on the iPhone and the Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 14:45:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open-Source iPhone rival Neo available from July

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source projects can prove tricky to convert into
| dollar-collecting businesses, but OpenMoko seem to be
| doing a pretty good job with their Neo 1973 cellphone.
`----

http://www.myitablet.com/open-source-iphone-rival-neo-available-from-july-061103.php

Is Ubuntu Linux really ready for the big time?

,----[ Quote ]
| So whether the question is Ubuntu ready to Serve up millions of hits a
| day as a web server, crunch massive numbers for NASA or dazzle users
| with an amazing UI approaching the coolness of something out of the
| movie "Minority Report", the answer is a resounding YES, Yes it is!
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2007/07/06/is-ubuntu-linux-really-ready-for-the-big-time/

Related:

Meet the 'IPhoney': How to Roll Your Own IPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| The No. 1 gripe among iPhone owners is its lack of support for
| third-party apps, which means you're stuck with whatever Apple thinks
| you need. For power users, this is simply unacceptable. Those looking
| for the ultimate in customization can turn to a familiar solution
| when rolling your own is required: Linux.
|
| Canonical will be releasing a mobile version of its popular Ubuntu
| Linux distribution in October with the goal of making it easy to
| install the OS on any mobile phone.
|
| Until then, there are a number of phones set to ship with Linux
| preinstalled. Of particular interest is First International Computer's
| Neo1973, a GPS-equipped, quad-band phone that should be available this
| summer for $350 or less. The Neo1973 will be available with the
| OpenMoko platform, a mobile Linux distro made up solely of
| open-source software.
|
| Also, these Linux phones will have one particular feature we likely
| won't be seeing on the iPhone anytime soon -- the ability to make
| calls using voice over internet protocol.
`----

http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/07/iphoney

Get the iPhone’s Features Without an iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://sheehantu.wordpress.com/2007/07/01/get-the-iphones-features-without-an-iphone/