Re: [News] The Telegraph Suggests People Try Linux on Old Hardware

____/ Erik Jan on Saturday 07 July 2007 14:07 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 07-07-07 06:43:
>

>> I've seen (read) Beryl/XGL running on a 800MHz PC with a very old graphics
>> card. This might actually make those old boxes more attractive than Vista in
>> its Aero Glass gown (little glory).
>>

> I have a 800MHz PC with an ATi Radeon 9200SE graphics card that does
> OpenGl and compiz (3D cube) very well. I don't know about Beryl, because
>   I did not try.
>
> I show it to friends telling them that this is an equivalent of MS'
> Aero. They are amazed that this is possible on this old computer (bought
> in spring 2000)!
>
> I do not see the use of compiz or beryl for work. It is just fun to see
> my friends' faces.

Yes, I agree. The same, however, goes for things like Aero Glass and OS X's
OGL-accelerated effects, which consume a lot of energy and give very little in
return. Rather than going towards light computing and reduce energy to help
the planet, people seem to be building bulkier GPUs and then using them all
the time, even when browsing the Web. It's like moving from cars to SUVs, even
when only one person (the driver) does the journey.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"