Re: [News] Linux Already Has 'ReadyBoost' Done Right (SwapBoost)

____/ [H]omer on Friday 06 July 2007 19:46 : \____

http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-linux-download/speed-up-your-linux-box-with-a-thumb-drive-274911.php
>>> Erm ... they mean?:
>>>
>>> swap_file="/media/IPOD/swapfile"
>>> dd if=/dev/zero of=${swap_file} bs=1024 count=716800
>>> mkswap -v1 ${swap_file}
>>> swapon ${swap_file}
>>>
>>> Yes, very innovative :)
>>
>> It's also very elegant, isn't it? How would this be achieved in Windows?
>> Let's see...
>>
>> Where my C drive?
>>
>> What is drive B *for*?
>>
>> Filesystem?!?! What's that?
>>
>> Time to defrag and fixing the FAT with scandisk.
>
> Don't forget the obligatory reboot.

Oh, that's intervention-free. You go get some coffee, Microsoft then decided to
push some patches and reboot after 120 seconds of idle time. You come back and
see a login screen.

>> Yes, very innovative :)

We can say *that* again.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Software patents destroy innovation