Re: [News] Linux Already Has 'ReadyBoost' Done Right (SwapBoost)

In article <5g02m4-5c2.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>, "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Speed up your Linux box with a thumb drive
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | Linux only: Like ReadyBoost for Vista, SwapBoost uses the extra
> > | space on a spare USB drive to speed up your OS.
> > `----
> >
> > http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-linux-download/speed-up-your-linux-b
> > ox-with-a-thumb-drive-274911.php
>
> Erm ... they mean?:
>
> swap_file="/media/IPOD/swapfile"
> dd if=/dev/zero of=${swap_file} bs=1024 count=716800
> mkswap -v1 ${swap_file}
> swapon ${swap_file}
>
> Yes, very innovative :)

If you want to duplicated ReadyBoost, you'll need a couple more steps:

   Rewrite Linux VM and cache system
   Recompile kernel and reboot

Flash drives have low latency but usually also have low transfer rates
compared to internal drives.  Just adding them to your swap pool is not
all that useful.  To use them effectively, you want to just cache on
them things that benefit greatly from low latency but don't require high
transfer rate.

If you are going to be an anti-Microsoft Advocate, you should at least
spend a few minutes learning about Microsoft's software.

--
--Tim Smith