[News] [Rival] FBI Steps in to Address Microsoft Windows Zombies Catastrophe, Thefts

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] FBI Steps in to Address Microsoft Windows Zombies Catastrophe, Thefts
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:19:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Finally.

FBI to Notify Microsoft Windows Users Who Were Victims of Botnets

,----[ Quote ]
| The Department of Justice and FBI have announced the results of
| an ongoing cyber crime initiative to disrupt and dismantle
| “botherders” and elevate the public’s cyber security
| awareness of botnets.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/10550/fbi-notify-microsoft-windows-users-who-were-victims-botnets

Congressional Report: Full Exent of Data Breaches Unknown

,----[ Quote ]
| In recent years, many entities in the private, public, and government sectors
| have reported the loss or theft of sensitive personal information. These
| breaches have raised concerns in part because they can result in identity
| theft—either account fraud (such as misuse of credit card numbers) or
| unauthorized creation of new accounts (such as opening a credit card in
| someone else's name).
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/10561/congressional-report-full-exent-data-breaches-unkown

New Trojan Makes Microsoft Windows Talk While Wiping out the Hard Drive

,----[ Quote ]
| This new malicious code detected by PandaLabs last week uses the Windows
| text reader to play the following sentences:
|
| "You have been infected I repeat you have been infected and your system
| files have been deleted. Sorry. Have a nice day and bye bye."
|
| These comments are repeated over and over again while the Trojan
| tries to delete the entire content of the computer's hard disk.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/10559/new-trojan-makes-microsoft-windows-talk-while-wiping-out-hard-drive

Related:

The feds weigh in on Windows security

,----[ Quote ]
| "The benefits of this move are enormous: Common, secure configurations
| can help slow botnet spreading, can radically reduce delays in patching,
| can stop many attacks directly, and organizations that have made the
| move report that it actually saves money rather than costs money,"
| Paller wrote.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6172158.html

Zombie botnets attack global DNS servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Hackers launched a sustained attack last night against key root servers
| which form the backbone of the internet.
|
| Security firm Sophos said that botnets of zombie PCs bombarded the
| internet's domain name system (DNS) servers with traffic.
|
| "These zombie computers could have brought the web to its knees,"
| said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2174383/zombie-botnets-attack-global

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/