Re: [News] Linspire Spits at OpenDocument Format, Helps Microsoft Bolt Lockins Into OpenOffice

____/ waterskidoo on Thursday 05 July 2007 19:54 : \____

> On 2007-07-05, Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Open-source is mainly about economics.  Mr Quark is one of our windows
>> trolls.
>
>  I believe economics is what attracts people to Linux in the first place
>  however
> it's my experience that the freedom from DRM, copy protection schemes and the
> all in one place install is what encourages people to stay with Linux.
> Assuming one does not have obtuse hardware or very specific application needs
> Linux is a great alternative to Windows. The advent of the LiveCD has been
> pivotal in attracting potential Linux users.

It's not just a way of introducing people to Linux, but also a valuable Swiss
army knife to those who travel. The 'no obligation' nature of Live CDs
motivates many of them to give it a go. ShipIt means there's no financial
obligation either.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
 02:20:03 up 19 days,  7:48,  4 users,  load average: 2.16, 1.78, 1.86