Re: Software Patents: the Neverending Story?

____/ Anonymous on Thursday 05 July 2007 22:44 : \____

> Software makers try to get software patents approved again in the EU:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/04/epo_pres_patent/
>
> I predicted that software companies would try to get software patents
> approved in the EU FOREVER, if things don't succeed the first time, try
> and try again. Why? Because there are only two economic blocks that matter
> in this world: the US and the EU, all the rest is simply UNIMPORTANT.
> There are already software patents in the US and by making sure that
> software patents are also allowed in the EU it will eventually mean that
> software patents will be allowed everywhere (India and China will do
> whatever the US and EU tell them or their exports will suffer).
>
> It seems that now they're trying to push in a new European Patent Office
> director who is more favorable to their cause. She's blabbering about
> there being a 'hole' in European Patent legislation which needs to be
> fixed. What hole?!! European Law clearly states that NO SOFTWARE PATENTS
> ARE ALLOWED!!!
>
> This drive to get Software Patents software patents allowed must be killed
> ONCE AND FOR ALL or software companies will try thousands of different
> ways to get them approved. And they only have to succeed once and there's
> no going back.
>
> I've already helped to stop the CII getting approved and it's time I and
> all open-source enthusiasts get on the barricade again. But this time we
> must make sure that it's dead and stay's dead. I propose that the European
> Parlement adopt a rule that the patenting of software will not be
> discussed again for the next 100 years. That will stop any lobbying dead
> in its tracks.
>
> Please write to the political parties in the European parliament and
> protest this move by the new Patent Director. Ask the to kill software
> patents once and for all!

For every letter that you write, Microsoft pays 1000 people to astroturf. They
did this with OOXML on the face of it, essentially spamming ANSI. I just hope
Gates and his money stay out of Europe because sooner or later he'll join the
lobbyists and use his 'charms'.

Laws are not a matter of logic. They are influenced by money.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com