Re: google guidelines updated WTF

____/ mark r on Monday 02 July 2007 10:41 : \____

> * Make pages for users, not for search engines. Don’t deceive your
> users or present different content to search engines than you display
> to users, which is commonly referred to as “cloaking.”
>
> [what not even a little bit :) - anyway im not deceiving a user, im
> influencing google so that my relevant content shows up!]
>
> * Avoid tricks intended to improve search engine rankings. A good rule
> of thumb is whether you’d feel comfortable explaining what you’ve done
> to a website that competes with you. Another useful test is to ask,
> “Does this help my users? Would I do this if search engines didn’t
> exist?”
>
> [[This is insane. We’re not on a level playing field if we stop SEOing
> our sites? instead the spammers who ignore your guidelines will be
> sitting pretty in the 1-100 spots in the serps. The problem is google
> traffic is massively important. How about splitting the results
> further into “im looking for a business or service” and “im
> researching information” that way you can identify commercial and non-
> commercial results.]
>
> * Don’t participate in link schemes designed to increase your site’s
> ranking or PageRank. In particular, avoid links to web spammers or
> “bad neighborhoods” on the web, as your own ranking may be affected
> adversely by those links.
>
> [But links into a site are the ONLY way to influence google???]
>
> * Don’t use unauthorized computer programs to submit pages, check
> rankings, etc. Such programs consume computing resources and violate
> our Terms of Service. Google does not recommend the use of products
> such as WebPosition Gold™ that send automatic or programmatic queries
> to Google.
>
> [Does google have a list of AUTHORISED programs? no… i thought not!]
>
> Quality guidelines - specific guidelines
>
> * Avoid hidden text or hidden links.
>
> [This should state unless they play an important role in the non-
> browser based viewing of a page.]
>
> * Don’t use cloaking or sneaky redirects.
> * Don’t send automated queries to Google.
> * Don’t load pages with irrelevant keywords.
> * Don’t create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with
> substantially duplicate content.
>
> [So you’ll be deleting ebay from your listings then? no… i thought
> not.]
>
> * Don’t create pages that install viruses, trojans, or other badware.
> * Avoid “doorway” pages created just for search engines, or other
> “cookie cutter” approaches such as affiliate programs with little or
> no original content.
>
> [Again Dell, Amazon etc all do this!]
>
> * If your site participates in an affiliate program, make sure that
> your site adds value. Provide unique and relevant content that gives
> users a reason to visit your site first.

These changes are welcomed, but will they truly penalise those who /should/? It
sounds to me like a cop who says you can't jaywalk... I mean, who the heck is
looking? Will anybody really get a ticket for it? Google played nice and built
market share by allowing the use of software that automates some queries. Is
it no longer competing? :-)

Sounds like companies that give free software (or turn a blind eye to piracy)
and later elevate their product price to $700, create the BSA, and award
people $1 million for snitching (yesterday's new).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Rid your machine from malware. Install GNU/Linux.
Mem:    515500k total,   445016k used,    70484k free,     4184k buffers