Re: [News] [Rival] Big Companies to Forbid Consumer's Backup, Blame Piracy

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Monday 02 July 2007 21:29 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
> <spam@xxxxxxx>
> wrote
> on Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:29:40 +0100
> <adkhl4-f94.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> I'm telling you, Ghost, I'm getting freaked out when I see what
>>> America's Big Media is doing to culture. Hours ago I saw an article
>>> that said they now retaliate against Prince because he gave free CDs
>>> to the Brits. They kill Web radio, they kill P2P, they tax the Web,
>>> they crack down on barber shops that play some music... they want to
>>> dry up any kind of music (no matter how legitimate it is) so that
>>> every person (no matter how poor) is forced to pay for.... folklore.
>>> This is outrageous, don't you think? Greed does not know any bounds.
>>> Maybe they'll start charging you to enter shopping malls because
>>> there's some background music too. Meanwhile, it seems like digital
>>> radios adopt some freaky DRM 'features'. It may seem harmless now,
>>> but I hate to think what will/might happen 10 years from now. If back
>>> in 1980 someone told you that all popular software would be binary,
>>> expensive, and suitable for one single architecture, you would not
>>> have believed him/her, right?
>>
>> Nice rant, and all true. Horrible but true.
>>
>> Don't count on the law to reverse this trend of corporate control.
>> It was the law that instigated this corporate control to begin with.
>>

> I'm not 100% sure of that, as I strongly suspect the
> corporations now control the law -- cf for instance
> the pharmaceutical mess, and the bankruptcy changes of
> last year.  But that's a (admittedly horrible) detail.
>
> #191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Windows.  Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
> (1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".
  ^^
Hey, suddenly fortune is found. It must be magic.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
Tasks: 107 total,   1 running, 106 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie