Re: [News] Microsoft Political Manipulation in Massachusetts Knows No Bounds

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 03 July 2007 01:30 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:41:55 +0100
> <1701077.krgLiJpKcB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Microsoft document formats gain Mass. favor
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Massachusetts caused a stir among governments and the technology industry
>> | nearly two years ago when it mandated the use of "open formats" in desktop
>> | applications.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | "We completely agree: ooXML looks backward, while ODF is an international
>> | ISO standard, and is forward looking. The public understands this, too,
>> | as nearly 15,000 people opposing ooXML have signed an online petition
>> | circulated by the Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure. We
>> | look forward to seeing the public discussion in the Commonwealth," Sutor
>> | said in a statement.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6194542.html
>>
>> So, they pressured CIOs out of their jobs and replaced them with Microsoft
>> lobbyists. To the corrupt monopoly, this is a happy ending.
>
> It is also the correct ending, AFAICT.  OOXML is
> technically an open format (though a morass of messy
> specifications, but the specifications *are* there).
>
> That Massachusettes allows it for consideration by no
> means guarantee their acceptance thereof, although we'll
> have to see.
>
> Hopefully Microsoft actually gets to compete on the
> *merits*, and not simply because someone armtwisted
> an Assemblyman.  I do not like arbitrary exclusion of
> candidates -- even monopolistically-inclined ones.
> Of course I like monopolistic behavior even less.

For many other reasons, OOXML is not open (or /free/ rather). It's not even
legally 'safe' to implement, but it's one of those grey areas with deliberate
uncertainty. Mono likewise. They want people to adopt Mono and OOXML and later
they can threaten. It's like piracy (let them adopt it, then accuse them of
piracy). Bob Sutor (IBM's standards man) has some good discussions about it.

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/interview_christian_fernandez_binary_freedom

> True!

I know this guy and he seems determined to help. He actually lives in that
state. He is close to the places where abuse of the system takes place.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012760&source=rss_news50

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/060807-states-move-to-open-formats.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

> This doesn't look like a done deal to me.  Watch this space. :-)

Done, not done (or undone), it's important that it remains known how we got
here. There's a lot of monkey business.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S: which virus do fancy today?