Re: [News] Exit Route from Microsoft Lockin Revisited, New Microsoft Lockin in the Making

____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 01 July 2007 12:40 : \____

http://leon.info.tm/en/mso2ooo-batch-convert-microsoft-office-documents-openoffice-documents

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/06/29/Ecma-to-create-standard-from-Microsoft-PDF-rival_1.html

> ECMA is not a real standards body, it's an industry body, whose function
> is to do exactly this kind of thing.

I once saw ECMA referred to as a coin-in-the-slot body. It's an industry /for/
industry body. It's like some form of a lobbying arm, but it functions
differently. It's moves by the money.

> Real standards come from the source.  Why anyone would see Microsoft as
> doing anything other than trying to extend their abusive monopoly even
> further, I do not know.  Unless they're Ashley Highfield of course, who
> would appear to be blind.

Maybe he lost his decryption glasses.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
 15:00:02 up 14 days, 20:28,  5 users,  load average: 1.84, 1.69, 1.89