Re: [News] Utah Open Source Conference Announced, the 'Problem' with Free Software Highlighted

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 02:27:00 -0400, jim wrote:

>> Perhaps a better business model would be to have something in demand,
>> then sell it.  I suppose there's a surplus of FOSS software, as it can
>> be downloaded easily.  Anytime there's a surplus, you're not going to
>> make money...
>>
>> On the other hand, if you have skill x, and there's a shortage of
>> persons with skill x, then you'll make money hand of fist.  You could
>> probably build a company around that...
>
> Although there are hundreds of thousands of FOSS projects, they are
> mostly abandoned.  Just take a random walk thru sourceforge.net and
> you'll see what I mean.

There are failed companies, too.  I fail to see the point.  Is your point
that 1/x FOSS projects stands the test of time?  Hmm, what about
that .com bust?  1/x companies stands the test of time, too.  So, for
arguments sake, let's say the success rate is equal.  What was your point?

Or, are you saying that the success rate for FOSS is less than the
success rate for business's?

Vendor lock-in is a business strategy, yes, but there are others, like
"buy low and sell high."

-Thufir