Re: [News] Comcast and SugarCRM Open Source Enemies?

____/ waterskidoo on Friday 20 July 2007 02:29 : \____

> On 2007-07-19, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The few times I have put calls into the Comcast Help Desk, there was an
>> occasion where the "technician" replied... "thank god... a linux user". :')
>> Most of the time, however, the know nothing about linux, but seem very
>> interested none the less.
>
> No doubt because the tech knew he was dealing with a person who has
> some technical ability. Could you imagine having to walk clueless
> users through manual configuration of a network interface card?
> And then have to do it all day long?
> Chances are good that all the Linux user needs is to know
> if their is some kind of network wide outage or maybe
> the server ip address or a an ID reset or something simple
> like that.

Yes, it's usually just a matter of refreshing the switch, DHCP server, or
letting the customer know some IP address that needs filling in some intuitive
GUI.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Reversi: http://othellomaster.com