[News] PC Market Diversified, Mobile Growth Outpaces PCs in Places

  • Subject: [News] PC Market Diversified, Mobile Growth Outpaces PCs in Places
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:04:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apple reclaims US' third biggest PC seller spot

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, there's no doubt we are seeing a resurgence in Mac sales, particularly
| in the US. And if that means there's just a little bit of variety in an
| otherwise Windows world - Linux won't trouble the scorer much, not for
| new-bought systems, at least - that's no bad thing.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/19/us_pc_sales_q2/

Rapid Growth Seen for India's Mobile Market

,----[ Quote ]
| New research has confirmed that India's mobile phone market is set for a
| period of fast growth, with revenue from cellular services expected to jump
| by more than 18 percent each year for the next five years.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070718/tc_pcworld/134719

This is of course excellent news. Linux does brilliantly on device because it's
stable, affordable, light, and versatile. PC shipments are slower (globally).

Global PC shipments up 12 percent in 2Q

,----[ Quote ]
| Worldwide shipments of personal computers rose strongly in the second quarter
| due to growing demand in Asia and unexpected strength in the U.S., two
| research companies reported Wednesday.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070719/ap_on_hi_te/pc_shipments

Do those Linux UMPC count as PCs or as "mobiles"? Intersection?

Related:

UMPC News : New Linux distro for MIDs to be launched in May. Redflag
Mid Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The new distro will have a 500MB footprint, will support
| power-saving features, boot time is shown as 18 seconds on
| one of the slides.
`----

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=480

Linux-powered Mobile Internet Device video walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/05/linux-powered-mobile-internet-device-video-walkthrough/