Re: [News] A Series of Open Source Success Stories from Portland, London, and Beyond

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 19 July 2007 08:26 : \____

>> Real Open Sourcery
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| It just so happens, too, that Portland has been an internationally
>>| recognised breeding ground for pioneering open-source activity for more
>>| than a decade. Linus Torvalds, the creator of the original "open" operating
>>| system, Linux, calls Beaverton home
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3336/9250/
>
> This statement is wrong in so many ways.  Mr Torvalds started out in
> Finland, and was a student there.  He did not write the original open
> operating system, he wrote the first viable GPLed kernel.  The GNU
> project had already written much of the first open operating system,
> including such key components as the compiler.  One could also consider
> that the various flavours of free BSD were also around before Linux,
> too.
>
> No wonder the FSF get a bit shirty about GNU/Linux versus Linux when
> talking about the *operating system* (as opposed to the kernel).

I was planning to share this video some time next week.

http://www.youtube.com/v/GsZH6CTVvYg

RMS is not a popular figure /everywhere/, but here he makes a fair point,
again. You can't treat GNU contribute rs as though they are gardeners while
Linus gets all the fame (some call him a "God", which is something he hates...
rightly so because it makes him unpopular).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication
 10:20:02 up 32 days, 15:48,  7 users,  load average: 1.66, 1.60, 1.90