Re: [News] IBM Figures Show That Linux Pays Off

> IBM Turns In Its Best Second Quarter in Six Years
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The System p servers, of course, are Power-based machines aimed predominantly
>| at running the AIX or Linux operating systems. Sales of System p boxes rose
>| by 7 percent in the quarter, and were somewhat affected by the launch in May
>| of that retrofitted Power6 machine and its delivery to customers in June.
> `----
>
> http://www.itjungle.com/breaking/bn071807-story01.html
>

> Open Source is not dead...
>
> Squiz Reports Rapid Increase In Rate Of Paying Customers For Open Source
> Software Solutions In 2007
>
> http://www.prlog.org/10024540-squiz-reports-rapid-increase-in-rate-of-paying-customers-for-open-source-software-solutions-in-2007.html
>
> Awards boost open source
>
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/devt/B5F88AE8F05339A1CC2573170012E0F4

This is where we start to see the new markets appearing which indicate
that a disruptive technology is taking hold and creating new commercial
value.  You cannot have a "linux" commercial market in the sense of
licence revenue, because there is no such thing.  You can, however,
have a market in integrating open-source capabilities into functioning
machines, you can have a market in supporting open-source solutions,
you can have a market in bespoke work based on open-source code.

There will never be a meaningful comparison of Linux versus Windows
installs, because you cannot count Linux at all.  But there can most
certainly be meaningful comparisons of integration market sizes, support
market sizes, bespoke software house markets and so on.