Re: [News] Reviews of Ubuntu Linux and the Latest Slackware

> Slackware: old warhorse is going strong
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The last time I looked at Slackware was nearly seven years ago; version 7.1
>| was thrown my way by a magazine and I was asked for a review. My usage of the
>| distribution had ended early in 2000 when I moved to Debian after using
>| Slackware 4.0 and then 7.0 for about a year.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| I guess Slackware will have its band of loyal users; it has some good points
>| and a certain kind of people like their Linux the way Volkerding has designed
>| the distribution. Had the upgrade process been less cumbersome, who knows, I
>| might still be using it.
> `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/13569/1090/
>
> Ubuntu 7.04
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Ubuntu is very user-friendly but not right for everyone. Oddly, both casual
>| and advanced users will find this operating system wonderful, while
>| day-to-day users may rail against Ubuntu's incompatibility with certain
>| popular software applications. Still, this is a great leap forward for Linux
>| with the mass audience...
> `----
>
> http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/software/os/soa/Ubuntu-7-04/0,139023442,339280171,00.htm

This is a pretty open and honest review, but the conclusion is worthy of
particular attention:

	Conclusion
	Should you switch from Windows XP? It depends. If you are product-agnostic
	with your software choices, and mostly use the internet or internet-based
	services, then you might prefer Ubuntu's overall stability and
	simplicity. If you need to use Adobe Photoshop, iTunes or some other
	specific application, then you should stick with either Windows or Mac
	OS X, since those products won't necessarily work under Ubuntu.

What's significant?  Well, Windows Vista doesn't really get a mention
here, the choice is between staying with XP or moving to Ubuntu.  It
also doesn't mention dual-boot as a viable option, which I would say
could cover a lot of situations.  Adobe photoshop is noted as something
which doesn't run on Ubuntu, but there doesn't seem to have been any
review of the Gimp, which is an odd oversight in an otherwise reasonable
article.

Further, whilst the security advantages of Linux are mentioned, they
don't come up in the conclusion, which seems a tadge strange.