Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Says OpenDocument is a Monopoly While Accused by Europe for Monopoly Abuse

> ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 18 July 2007 11:03 : \____

>>> EU court to rule on Microsoft on Sept. 17
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6197070.html
>>
>> Microsoft will just drag it out as long as they can.  This is what
>> they've always done.
>
> The US deferred it until 2012. What a joke.
>
>>> Microsoft twists and turns over ODF
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41055
>>
>> It could almost be a spoof article!
>
> I later saw the BetaNews article which refers to the Microsoft statement.
> Microsoft actually did use the word "monopolise" (or "monopoly") in reference
> to open source. They paint themselves as victims. Poor Microsoft... such small
> market share in office suites, so you can understand their concern... *rolls
> eyes*

It is amazing, isn't it, to see truly open standards being referred to
as a monopoly - I cannot imagine anything further from being a monopoly
than an open-standard.  Still, it would seem that Microsoft's efforts to
decommoditise commodities are finally collapsing.