Re: [News] Fedora, Red Hat, and Ubuntu Linux Trends

  • Subject: Re: [News] Fedora, Red Hat, and Ubuntu Linux Trends
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:58:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> It can't be easy being Fedora, overshadowed by Ubuntu

Ubuntu took the compromise and distributed patent encumbered components
and tainted drivers, whereas Fedora took the less pragmatic and more
idealistic approach ... which was a more noble, if less popular choice.

Now it seems factions within Ubuntu are looking to clean up some of the
proprietary dirt, with the Gobuntu project. Predictably, that probably
won't be popular either, but it certainly will be popular with *me*.

Let those who want the enslavement of proprietary software, use
proprietary software. If that happens to be the majority, then so be it.
Good luck to them ... they'll need it.

As if anyone needs reminding of where that particular road leads ...
take a good long look at the current state of Windows, then think about
issues like Viruses, Botnets, Spyware, Abandonware, format lock-ins,
DRM, activation, back doors, privacy, civil rights, data harvesting,
spam, forced upgrades, extortionate licensing, poor service; and sloppy,
bug-infested, bloated, insecure software.

I'd hope that will *not* be an accurate description of Ubuntu, a few
years from now.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Computer games don’t affect kids, I mean if Pac man affected us as
| kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills
| and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
 10:57:21 up 17 days,  9:51,  3 users,  load average: 2.20, 2.27, 2.22