[News] Michael Dell Talks About Linux, Which is Ready for the Enterprise

  • Subject: [News] Michael Dell Talks About Linux, Which is Ready for the Enterprise
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 02:21:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Michael Dell on… [Linux]

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux has been a part of our business for a long time, mostly on the server
| side and workstations.
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/CDN/News.asp?id=44114#3605452679812752244

OS expert forecasts a future beyond Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Mac OS and Linux become legitimate enterprise choices, says Joe Habraken
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/Home/News.asp?id=43320#24133678758720056516

Related:

Michael Dell: Linux Coming to SMBs, Europe Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| At July 10 show, Michael Dell confirmed a posting on the Direct2Dell site
| that the company has specific plans to expand its Linux offering. This will
| include a focus on SMBs as well as the European market.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2156607,00.asp#471376266180320785

Linux Rolls On [to other countries]

,----[ Quote ]
| Know some of you saw this in last week's post, but I wanted to be clear that
| Dell does have plans to offer Linux to more consumers in additional locations
| outside the United States. More details to come later this summer. We will
| also offer Ubuntu to small business customers in the future.
`----

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/07/06/20256.aspx

Dell offers discount on Linux PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell will offer its Linux PCs for $50 (£24) less than the equivalent
| Windows PCs, the company has revealed on one of its websites.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39287861,00.htm?r=2

Will HP Follow Dell With Ubuntu Linux PCs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Initially, I was skeptical about Dell's decision to sell selected consumer
| PCs with Ubuntu Linux pre-installed.
|
| But after a few days of testing, I'm a skeptic no more. And I'm not alone.
| Dell insiders tell me that the Ubuntu PCs, introduced in late May, are
| selling well -- though they decline to share exact sales figures with
| me.
|
| [...]
|
| Sources close to HP tell me the company hope to offer PCs with Ubuntu Linux
| pre-installed in a few months--or perhaps even a few weeks...
`----

http://software.seekingalpha.com/article/39413

Interest in Linux Outside the United States

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/06/12/17254.aspx

,----[ Quote ]
| McKeon said obviously Dell Australia would be watching what happens
| in the US, and the local office is keen to make Linux machines available.
|
| "It's something we'd definitely like to do ... we have a sizeable
| Linux community in Australia particularly in Canberra and Adelaide."
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/soa/Dell-release-Linux-on-PCs-only-in-US/0,130061702,339277928,00.htm

Ubuntu on Two New Inspirons; Update from the Linux Live Expert Forum

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/06/27/19470.aspx