[News] GooOS -- Another Speculation of Google OS Fantasy

  • Subject: [News] GooOS -- Another Speculation of Google OS Fantasy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 05:20:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GooOS, the Google Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| I came across a great speech by Rich Skrenta. He argues that Google is
| building a huge computer with a custom operating system that everyone
| on earth can have an account on.
|
| Using Gnome and Linux as a starting point, Google should design an
| OS for desktop computers that's modified to use the GooOS and sell
|  it right alongside Windows ($200) at CompUSA for $10/apiece
| (available free online of course). Google Office (Goffice?) will
| be built in, with all your data stored locally, backed up remotely,
| and available to whomever it needs to be (SubEthaEdit-style
| collaboration on Word/Excel/PowerPoint-esque documents is only the
| beginning). Email, shopping, games, music, news, personalp
| ublishing, etc.; all the stuff that people use their computers
| for, it's all there.
`----

http://www.geckosite.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13

Related:

Use Google Linux repositories

,----[ Quote ]
| Google recently created their own Linux software repositories to streamline
| the use of Google software in Linux.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/software/linux-tip/use-google-linux-repositories-274528.php

Google: one million servers and counting

,----[ Quote ]
| Gartner reckons that Google now make use of more than 1 million
| servers, spitting out search results, images, videos, emails and ads.
`----

http://www.pandia.com/sew/481-gartner.html

Google Desktop goes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Google was set to launch late on Wednesday a beta version of Google Desktop
| search for Linux in a sign of encouragement by the search giant for Linux on
| the desktop.
|
| [...]
|
| Google Desktop for Linux was written natively...
|
| [...]
|
| Google also offers Linux versions of its Picasa photo-editing software, as
| well as Google Earth and Google Toolbar for Firefox.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-6193579.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Firefox 3 and Google team up for offline apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox 3 will be the first internet browser to offer offline web
| application support when it launches at the end of this year.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/118296/firefox-3-and-google-team-up-for-offline-apps.html

What the world needs now is Google Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Following Microsoft's inking of agreements with Linux hawkers,
| offering to shield them from lawsuits over the 235 patents it
| reckons versions of Linux infringe, a gathering of open sorcerers
| is assembling at Google HQ to debate what is to be done.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7747894@N05/530284454/in/set-72157600310669314/

Gears of War

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Google product that could augur the death of Microsoft.
`----

http://www.slate.com/id/2168419/nav/tap3/rss

Red Hat - not losing Dell but gaining a Google

,----[ Quote ]
| And now the good news, rumours are floating about of a deal between Red
| Hat and fluffy online search behemoth Google with various tie-ups being
| touted including Red Hat's latest operating system -- RHEL 5 -- or a
| version there of -- being used as the OS for a Google phone?
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10005260o-2000331759b,00.htm

Google goes its own way

,----[ Quote ]