[News] Busting Linux Myths on Incovenient Truths (Old FUD in New Gown)

  • Subject: [News] Busting Linux Myths on Incovenient Truths (Old FUD in New Gown)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:37:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Are there inconvenient truths about Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent blog post entitled Confessions of a Linux Fan has provoked some
| discussion in the Linux community. In it, the author lists 10 things (10
| seems to be the preferred number of these kinds of posts) that new Linux
| users should be aware of. Though the author claims to be a Linux enthusiast,
| the 10 observations are actually just re-wordings of many of the classic
| arguments against using Linux.
`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/inconvenient.html

Related:

Linux Myth Busting

,----[ Gist ]
| Myth nr1. LINUX IS HARD TO INSTALL
|
| Myth nr2, LINUX HAS NO GOOD APPLICATIONS
|
| Myth nr3, I CAN'T PLAY GAMES UNDER LINUX
|
| Myth nr4, HARDWARE SUPPORT IS AWFULL UNDER LINUX
|
| Myth nr5, SECURITY UNDER LINUX IS STUPID I NEED TO BE ADMINISTRATOR
|
| Myth nr6, UPDATING LINUX IS HARD TO DO
|
| Myth nr7, WHY MUST I COMPILE A KERNEL FOR NEW HARDWARE????!!!!
`----

http://www.cyberwalker.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/2514/

Top 5 Linux and Windows myths

,----[ Ones that I found intersting ]
| ...Studies have shown that Linux is in fact MORE user friendly than
| windows, just people aren't used to it!
|
| ...Linux is getting more user friendly and supportive of hardware all the
| time, no-one can deny that. And although Microsoft have the influence
| to push them through a few mistakes, if a long chain continues it could
| well
| cause permenant damage - it would just take far longer because of their
| influence.
|
| ...And due to the ever increasing number of computers in poorerc
| ountries, Linux is gaining momentum.
`----

http://tt-blogs.com/comment.php?id=52

Linux Truths, Half-Truths, and Myths

,----[ Quote ]
| When people find out I run Linux on my computer instead of Windows
| or even Mac OS X they sometimes have funny ideas about what it must
| be like. Some of it is historical; Linux used to be quite difficult
| to administer in its younger days. Some of it is misinformation,
| or no information at all. I hope to dispell some of the
| misconceptions.
`----

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/03/05/161203.php

Web Content 2007: 7 Open Source Myths: Busted!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/open-source-cms/web-content-2007-7-open-source-myths-busted-001391.php#8454534891915636916