[News] Microsoft Dropping the Ball on Vista-only Features?

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Dropping the Ball on Vista-only Features?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 06:31:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Windows Live, DX10 looking up for XP

,----[ Quote ]
| We're hearting rumours out of sunny Santa Monica that the Windows Live
| programme isn't quite as Vista-centric as Volish operatives would like us to
| think.
|
| [...]
|
| Will this also mean an appearance for DX10 on XP? The odds are getting
| shorter by the day.

How greedy and dishonest have they been? The investor comes before the /needs/
of the client.

Related:

DX10 is do-able on Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| In any case, in doing this, MS removed the only impediment to backporting
| DX10 to XP, it is now, and has been for quite a while, completely possible.
| MS is screwing its customers to force an upgrade and you are a pawn in their
| revenue generation scheme.
|
| Sadly, I will admit that I did upgrade. I went from XP to Ubuntu and bought a
| Wii. Life could not be better now, gaming is fun again, and spyware is a
| distant memory.

Vista-only game cracked

,----[ Quote ]
| Falling Leaf Studios had previously reported that they were working
| on the 'Alky Project' that would contribute 'Alky Compatibility
| Libraries' to allow the successful running of Halo 2 and Shadowrun
| on Windows XP machines.
|
| Looks like it was a lot simpler than that.

Hacked DX10 for Windows appears

,----[ Quote ]
| A chap called Cody Brocious from San Diego, California, claims to
| have started to create an wrapper for Windows executables so that
| they can be ran on another operating system, with no prejudice
| about that operating system.
|
| A year in, the Alky Project has gone live under the cover of a
| company Falling Leaf Systems. Members of its Sapling Program will
| be able to get the wrappers for DirectX10 applications and run
| them not just on DX10 hardware under Windows XP, but with some
| DX9 hardware as well.

Valve questions Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Half-Life 2 developer Valve thinks that Microsoft's current
| "Games for Windows" marketing push is a cynical ploy to sell
| more copies of Windows Vista, rather than a genuine effort to
| invigorate the PC gaming market.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/12/valve_questions_microsofts_commitment/

Valve survey shows hundreds of thousands steamed up

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the survey also shows how far Microsoft et al have to go
| - currently, DX10-capable gamers (ie those with Vista and a DX10 card)
| make up 1.21% of the gaming population.

DAAMIT! AMD's DX10 is not up to scratch

,----[ Quote ]
| The gap isn't much, but there's a good 10-15 per cent difference between
| the two cards, and this is rather disappointing for a card that has
| been repeatedly marketed as future proof.

Wine to Stop Microsoft's Vista Forced-Upgrade Plans?

,----[ Quote ]
| Was just trawling through the report from 'Wine Conf 2006'
| (Wine is a compatibility layer that allows Windows
| programs to run on Linux, and more recently Mac) lookingf
| or information on how they are going to handleV
| ista/DirectX10...
|
| Direct3D10, which will ship with Windows Vista in a
| few months, doesn't seem to be a large cause for concern.
| At first glance it appears to be more of an evolutionary
| change rather than revolutionary. New shader support
| will be needed, but extending ours once OpenGL supports
| it should be pretty easy. Stefan mentioned Microsoft is
| currently offering a lot of incentives for Windows
|           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| developers who develop D3D10-only games since they'll
| only be usable on Vista - there's no plan to
| backport D3D10 to XP. Dan Kegel asked if that means we
| should port Wine's forthcoming D3D10 implementation to
| Windows, which would be relatively easy when we
| switch to WGL.
`----

http://www.webmaster-forums.net/showthread.php?t=36282

DirectX 9.0 L works on Vista only

,----[ Quote ]
| We managed to confirm the existence of DirectX 9.0L but it
| won't be a DirectX 10 for Windows XP. It will be the other
| way around. It is a faster version of DirectX 9.0 that
| will run under Vista only.
|
| So I have to disappoint all of you who expected to run
| DirectX 10 games under Windows XP (and apologise, huh,
| Fudo? News Ed.) as there won't be an API to supports it.

Windows 2000 faces security melt down

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the fact that the operating system is as old as Spinola, and
| that Microsoft refused to service them any more, there is still a
| large number of Windows 2000 machines out there.
|
| According to News.com, a "critical" Windows 2000 exploit has been
| released on the Internet designed to kick the crutch of the ageing
| operating system.
|
| The exploit takes advantage of a security hole in a file system and
| print request application "Workstation Service". The flaw can be
| exploited remotely without any user interaction.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft has released a patch for the operating system using
| security bulletin MS06-070. This is despite saying that it had
| given up on Windows 2000 and would not make any more security
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| fixes for it.

| Use of Microsoft Windows XP has grown inside corporations, but a new
| study shows that nearly half of business PCs are still running the
| older Windows 2000.
`----

http://news.com.com/The+slow+road+to+Windows+XP/2100-1016_3-5746046.html?part=rss&tag=5746046&subj=news

Microsoft Turns Up The Heat On Windows 2000 Users

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196700071