[News] BBC Sidles with Monopoly, All Talk, No Action

  • Subject: [News] BBC Sidles with Monopoly, All Talk, No Action
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 01:36:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
BBC to hear open source concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking at the launch of the service, director of Future Media and
| Technology at the BBC Ashley Highfield said: "I am fundamentally committed to
| universality, to getting the BBC iPlayer to everyone in the UK who pays their
| licence fee."

Nothing done. Some Microsoft shills/employees seem to have begun their own
little anti-OSC thing...

Related:

MPs rap BBC over Siemens deal

,----[ Quote ]
| But public spending watchdog the PAC said BBC executives misled the board
| of governors about possible savings while trying to convince them to give
| the deal the go-ahead.
|
| The committee of MPs found £60m of costs was excluded when budgets were
| put to the governors for approval.
|
| [...]
|
| The PAC said the BBC was failing to manage the contract properly.
|
| [...]
|
| The report suggests the BBC should open up its accounts to government
| officials for proper scrutiny.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/29/pac_bbc_siemens/

EC threat to BBC over downloads

,----[ Quote ]
| However, OSC disagrees and says the next step is to make a formal
| complaint to the European Commission (EC).
|
| "We're preparing the full details at the moment and we will be
| sending a formal letter within the next week," said Mr Taylor.

Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]

http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias