Colatrolls blogspot

  • Subject: Colatrolls blogspot
  • From: BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:14:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
>>>> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com <<<<

I just looked at this for the first time just now because Peter K was
responding to someone about it.

We are all party to that as posters to this news group because it has the
group name at the top for all to see. But did we have any say in what names
are used or what comments are said on our behalf?

There are some on the list who are trolls, in the modern sense of the word.
But I personally would still not pick them out in this way nor do I want to
be an implied part of this simply because I use this news group.

You see what I mean about those who would like to proclaim themselves news
group police. It takes a far from democratic approach, it always has been
that way, in IRC the self proclaimed cops start with telling people off for
saying rude words, but than carry through various levels until banning
people because they disagree with him. I have never supported this sort of
thing and wont support it here in a news group.

There are names on there that I wouldn't call trolls at all.

cc - he doesn't troll, he disagrees with people, not afraid to fight his
corner, That Isn't Trolling.

The Ghost - I wouldn't mark him as a troll either. Unless on
colatrolls.blogspot a troll is anyone who's sometimes disagrees with a
pro-linux post.

Peter Kohlmann & linonut - are not trolls or troll feeders. They each do in
their own way pretty much the same as I do in that they answer the
anti-linux posts that can't be allowed to go unanswered. We haven't to be
afraid of argument and debate in cola, if someone says something like
'Linux is crap because....', we have to answer, each in his own way,
because these threads will be found in searches and it is important that a
valid reply is found at the same time, then who ever reads it can make
their own mind up.

So you see, what the person who runs this blogspot is saying is that he
conciders a certain kind of post as trolling or troll feeding, while I
would say many that he calls trolling or troll feeding, is in fact valid
for linux.advocacy. Different views, one would impose his view on all of
us, while I am happy for each of us to have a different view of it all,
ours views don't have to be compatible for the news group to work.

Can we run through a few Not Rules and Not Guidelines but My Opinion of this
business (for what my opinion is worth anyway).

1. Just because a post is anti-linux it doesn't mean that it is trollish.
2. If someone says such as 'The Windows version of {something} is better',
that too isn't trollish.
3. If someone disagrees with you, that isn't trollish.
4. If we end up shouting and balling and having a virtual punchup in the car
park. That isn't trolling either.

This list of Not Rules is growing isn't it, probably easier to say what a
troll is than to say what it isn't.

You know, the only posts that I would ban or filter out if I was Troll
Master Cop of COLA, would be those adverts that pop in now and then. Thats
all. Every other post, join in or ignore as you fancy and in your own way.