Re: What's with the Win Raid floppy?

____/ ed on Friday 13 July 2007 10:49 : \____

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:17:51 -0400
> Oldtech <me@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> what is it with so called nVidia Raid on new boards, that come with a
>> FLOPPY?  How retarded!
>>
>> So, we met at the local clubhouse, and all went to install our new
>> computers with systems, and selected Ubuntu, Mepis, and Fedora Core 7,
>> but rejected any Microsoft crapware, because:
>>
>> 1. The Linux systems installed in less than 15 minutes.  XP takes that
>> amount of time to find the hardware!
>>
>> 2. The Linux systems found the RAID. Management programs built-in.
>> Microsoft needs the floppy installed on these non-floppy systems,
>> which is a total pain in the ass, for those who have a floppy drive
>> to hook up, and is retarded for those who know a cdrom only costs
>> about 4 cents to make!
>>
>> 3. Linux upgrades of all installed programs, including the third party
>> ones (>19,000 in the Repositories!), took under 15 minutes.
>>
>> 4. Linux needs not run any Anti Virus programs, doesn't need to pay
>> the Microsoft "Trusted Partner" Cartel extortion taxes.  Linux is
>> immune to the "114,000 Microsoft Virus Malware Definitions".
>>
>> 5. No cripple-ware in Linux, like the plentiful offers in Microsoft
>> products!  On a new Dell, typical trialware costs $950 to activate!
>
> I totally agree with these points. I don't know if vista is any better
> at detecting hardware drivers than XP, but I imagine in a few years
> time it will be just as crud as XP is now.

The only driver that typically needs to be installed (manually) in Linux is for
the GPU. Even *that* has been simplified. In Ubuntu it now falls
under "restriced drivers", so activation is about two clicks away (okay, maybe
a few more). Installing Windows? Who ever installs Windows? It typically just
gets forcefed with a PC and if it breaks, some "Windows expert" from next door
is called in to spend half a day trawling the Web for drivers while trying to
keep Trojans away.

Maths applied to numbers is like logic applied to statistics. Statistics are
lies.