Re: [News] Another OSS/Web 2.0 Company Re-ignites the Attack on the Microsoft's Market Share

____/ BearItAll on Friday 13 July 2007 09:26 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Open-source apps released by Zoho
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Open-source software provider Zoho has released two new solutions: Zoho
>> | meeting, a new web conferencing application; and Creator, a developer
>> | tool that lets users create powerful online applications in minutes.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.vnunet.com/itweek/news/2194130/open-source-apps-released-zoho
>>

> Here, I thought we decided not to keep secrets from each other, how is it I
> hadn't heard of Zoho until now?

They are actually quite popular. There are about 5 big companies that offer
online office suites (with a different number of functions). Google is just
one of them and it had branding going for it. Uptime, long-term vision,
support, etc. also play a role and work in favour of Google.

> I just had a look. First thing I came to was the 'Create' part,
>
> http://creator.zoho.com/index.php?targetURL=%2Fhome.do

The article says they use Java OR ActiveX OR Flash. They could probably achieve
a lot using just open Web standards.

> have a look at the 'Get Started Quickly' video. Now that is what web
> applications should be like. Of cause we can't see any time delays in the
> video, but the point is that they are clearly not inhibited in application
> building by the fact that it is a web application.

Remember that thing such as Google Gears are coming. Firefox 3.0 promised to
deliver so-called 'offline' capabilities, so you can probably see how these
things will evolve. Even Microsoft acknowledged this seas of change a couple
of days ago.

Microsoft to partners: It's time to change

,----[ Quote ]
| Aiming to rally its partners around the reality of hosted software, Microsoft
| Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner told them it was a matter of financial
| life and death.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6195764.html

Apparently, Google is worth more than IBM now, as well (depending on one's
definition of value).

> Then the script builder, from the looks of that in the video it looks like
> almost anyone could pick it up and come up with an application relevant to
> themselves.

I bet all these sites support DOC and embrace something like OpenDocument and
its Asian siblings that have bridges. Microsoft will try hard to poison such
sites (and users) with their 'new and improved' spec, which a coin-in-the-slot
organisation has 'approved', despite life-threatening bugs and many other
deficiencies. Yes, it's OOXML that I'm thinking about. They now want to shove
this BS into new boxes where the consumer cannot even opt out.

> I really liked the look of this product, I will have a play over the
> weekend.

Just make sure you can save your work in a portable form.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)
Tasks: 133 total,   1 running, 132 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie